MyMDU High-Speed Internet
1. What are the system requirements for High-Speed
2. What is a MAC address?
3. What is a T1?
4. How does MyMDU High-Speed Internet differ from Cable and DSL
service providers? Is MyMDU faster?
5. What hardware is required to connect to MyMDU? Is software
6. What installation options are available for MyMDU High-Speed
7. What download/upload speeds does your service offer or provide?
8. Do you provide e-mail service?
9. Can MyMDU e-mail be retrieved via the Web?
10. Are we bound by contract?
11. What type(s) of IP address do you provide?
12. Can we obtain VPN access through your service?
13. Does your service provide Wireless Internet access?
14. Do you support routers, wireless access points/routers/bridges?
15. Do you allow servers on the network?
16. Does the service provide Spam filtration?
17. Does the service provide firewalls/anti-virus protection?
18. If the apartment has multiple data jacks why aren’t
they all active?
19. What is required to gain internet access using a game console,
ie. Sony Play Station2, XBOX,etc.?
20. Why are we charged a monthly fee for additional MAC address
21. Cable Internet Access: Why do you charge full price for each
additional cable modem while other Cable ISPs don’t?
22. Cable Internet Access: Can we use our own cable modems? If
so, will the monthly charge be lower?
23. How do I subscribe/sign up?
24. How do I obtain technical support?
1. Q: What are the system requirements
for High-Speed Internet Service?
A: Any computer running Windows, MAC OS, Linux, etc., with a working
ethernet network adapter.
2. Q: What is a MAC address?
A: A MAC address (Media Access Control) is a unique and permanently
assigned physical address on an ethernet network adapter. It allows
computers to be uniquely identified on a network. No two network
adapters have the same MAC address in the world. The MAC address
is used to identify a subscriber’s computer. MDU uses the
MAC address to control Internet access.
3. Q: What is a T1?
A: A T1 is a digital circuit that transmits data up to 1.544mbps.
This circuit is used to connect a MyMDU serviced property to the
4. Q: How does MyMDU High-Speed Internet
differ from Cable and DSL service providers? Is MyMDU faster?
A: In terms of speed, MyMDU is comparable to other cable service
providers and is almost always faster than DSL service. MyMDU
is designed to provide service at the property or building level
with one or more dedicated T1 circuits connecting the network
directly to the Internet. Other Cable and DSL service providers
aggregate thousands of subscribers at the town or city level to
share the same pipe to the Internet.
5. Q: What hardware is required to connect
to MyMDU? Is software necessary?
A: To connect to the MyMDU Network, the only requirements are
• For Ethernet Networks – network adapter
• For Cable modem systems – DOCSIS 1.0 compliant cable
• For both types of systems - No software is required
6. Q: What installation options are available
for MyMDU High-Speed Internet?
A: Depending on the property, MyMDU can provide Self-Install and
Professional Install options
7. Q: What download speeds does your
service offer or provide?
A: Download speeds vary and are based on your building's network
and the number of subscribers the network services. Restrictions
apply based on Acceptable Use Policy.
8. Q: Do you provide e-mail service?
A: Yes, each subscriber can get up to 5 email accounts. Each account
has 100mb of storage space for personal use or web site storage.
In addition, each email account is supported by a commercial strength
anti-virus and spam protection software. MDU's award winning EZ
Site Builder tool allows each subscriber the ability to create
a personal webpage with no additional software to install or download
and with no additional fees.
• POP3 Mail Server – mail.grosvenorpark.net
• SMTP Server – mail.grosvenorpark.net (smtp requires
9. Q: Can MyMDU e-mail be retrieved via
A: Yes, Email can be accessed by going to http://www.grosvenorpark.net
and clicking on "WebMail".
10. Q: Are we bound by contract?
A: MyMDU has Service and Acceptable Use Policies but does not
require annual contracts. You can obtain service on a month-to-month
11. Q: What type(s) of IP address do
A: MyMDU provides both Private and Public IP Addresses. Public
IP addresses are available for an additional low monthly fee.
12. Q: Can we obtain VPN access through
A: The MyMDU network is compatible with most VPN protocols such
as IPSEC, PPTP, etc. If your VPN requires connectivity originating
from the Internet, then a Public/Routable IP address can be assigned
for an additional low monthly fee.
13. Q: Does your service provide Wireless
A: MyMDU does not provide wireless access except in common areas
at some properties. Contact MyMDU Customer Service for more information.
14. Q: Do you support routers, wireless
A: Although most of these devices are compatible with the MyMDU
network, we do not support routers or any type of wireless devices
that require custom configuration. You are allowed to install
such devices as long as it does not cause any conflicts or problems
on the network and other subscribers’ service. If you do
install any of these devices, we will not be responsible for configuring
and supporting it if it has a problem.
15. Q: Do you allow servers on the network?
A: Per our Acceptable Use Policy, servers are not allowed on the
MyMDU network such as DNS, DHCP, Game servers, etc.
16. Q: Does the service provide Spam
A: Yes, MyMDU provides MDU Filter which is a spam blocker and
can be enabled by clicking on "My Acct" and logging
on to your email account.
17. Q: Does the service provide firewalls/anti-virus
A: Yes, MyMDU provides MDU Protect, a best in class anti-virus
software that scans all incoming email before it infects your
computer. Although, by using a Private IP address, you do get
some level of protection since your computer is not visible from
the Internet, having a firewall is the responsibility of the subscriber.
18. Q: If the apartment has multiple
data jacks why aren’t they all active?
A: In order to activate more than one data jack and connect multiple
computers to the MyMDU network, you will need a network hub or
switch installed at the distribution point in your apartment.
This device is not included with the Standard Service but can
be ordered and installed for an additional fee.
19. Q: What is required to gain internet
access using a game console, ie. Sony Play Station2, XBOX,etc.?
A: MyMDU does not provide support for game consoles of any type.
But we do have subscribers that have attempted to connect these
devices to our network and have made them work. In some instances,
a Public IP address was required for the system to work properly.
20. Q: Why are we charged a monthly fee
for additional MAC address registration?
A: The MyMDU Standard Service only includes one computer to connect
to the network for each account. Connecting multiple computers
to the network has the potential to use up more bandwidth and
can have a detrimental effect on the network and consequently,
other subscribers’ service. By charging for each additional
computer, we are able to control bandwidth usage and abuse.
21. Q: Cable Internet Access: Why do
you charge full price for each additional cable modem while other
Cable ISPs don’t?
A: Most major cable ISP’s do charge full price for each
additional cable modem. The reason for this is because for each
cable modem you connect to the network, you can use up twice the
bandwidth and so on and so forth.
22. Q: Cable Internet Access: Can we
use our own cable modems? If so, will the monthly charge be lower?
A: You can use your own cable modem as long as they are DOCSIS
v1.0 compliant. Just call MyMDU Customer Service to subscribe
and register your cable modem. The price is the same whether you
use your own cable modem or not since the cable modem is already
included in your Standard Service. The only advantage in using
your own cable modem is that you don't have to pay a deposit
to use a MyMDU-owned cable modem.
23. Q: How do I subscribe/sign up?
A: To subscribe to MyMDU High-Speed Internet Service, contact
MyMDU Customer Service at:
MyMDU Customer Services
1-866-ATMYMDU (866-286-9638) opt 2 then 1
Mon thru Fri, 10am to 9pm
24. Q: How do I obtain technical support?
A: To obtain technical support, contact MyMDU Technical Support
MyMDU Technical Support
1-866-ATMYMDU (866-286-9638) opt 2 then 2